Obstetrics and Gynaecology is a healthcare speciality that further branches out into two subspecialties – Obstetrics (concerning postpartum period, pregnancy, and childbirth) and Gynaecology (concerning the female reproductive system: vagina, ovaries, uterus, and breasts).
There are a range of subspecialties and divisions within the Obstetrics and Gynaecology department
- Paediatric and adolescent gynaecology
- Menopausal and geriatric gynaecology
- Cosmetic gynaecology
- Maternal-foetal medicine: Also known as perinatology, maternal-foetal medicine is an obstetrical subspecialty concerning the surgical and medical treatment of critical pregnancies and operation of the foetus with the aim to reduce morbidity and mortality.
- Gynaecological oncology: This branch of Obstetrics and Gynaecology treats women (medically and/or surgically) with cancer in the reproductive organs.
- Reproductive endocrinology and infertility: A discipline focusing on the causes and treatment of infertility.
- Female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery: This domain focuses on treating women suffering from pelvic prolapses and urinary incontinence. They employ a range of procedures (sometimes) involving surgery.
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Family planning: This subspecialty offers training in pregnancy termination (abortion) and contraception.